September 10, 2010

The Point Pleasant Skate Park

More news in today´s Ocean Star about our Council President swooping in to save the day. Well, I can say that if I had never gotten involved she wouldn´t care any more about the park today than she did for the six months the issue was lingering. I´m not trying to take credit. The credit for positive moves to re-open the park lies solely with the parents and kids who hung in there and wouldn´t give up like they were expected to after months of stalling. If those parents and kids hadn´t dug in their heels and refused to quit on something they cared about, I would bet you we would have seen the bulldozers this spring making way for a cell tower.

Once their plans to do nothing gave a few column inches of press to the opposition, the political value of the park suddenly made it worthy of immediate action. Now that the Skate Club has formed and I´ve had a chance to do some real good with people who I love working with, I really don´t care what the motivation was. The Club has nearly achieved its goal and we feel soon it will be open again. We are proud to take an active role in our community and help create opportunities for our children to present the positives of the sport they love.

This November is going to come and go, but my children are still little and we have a long term investment in our community. I am very proud to have helped preserve a wonderful little piece of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment